Spaceport Maintenance Technician
Spaceport America is seeking an incredibly talented, energetic, and experienced Field Maintenance Technician (FMT) to join our team at Spaceport America in Sierra County, 20 miles south east of Truth or Consequences. The ideal candidate will be responsible for ensuring the facilities are well maintained and are ready and operating at their best at all times. They will need to maintain strong relationships with the current agency maintenance team members and current team members of external customers including Virgin Galactic, any of our contractors as well as other Spaceport America team members and contractors. They will be responsible for the facilities as they perform routine repairs, maintenance, cleaning, and assistance to all co-workers which have tasks needing to be completed by the facilities team.
Initial construction of Spaceport America includes facilities such as a 14,000 square feet (SF) Spaceport Operations Center, 110,000 sf Terminal Hangar, Vertical Launch Pad area, Electrical Grid, Sewage System, Water Storage, Water Distribution, internal roads, and fuel farm providing ground fuels and aircraft fuels.
The FMT will also perform landscaping, plumbing, HVAC, janitorial, basic carpentry or associated work on all Spaceport America facilities using hand and power tools as directed and will troubleshoot equipment or facilities problems and report to the facilities. They must be a self-starter, project oriented, able to research and learn new skills, able to assess needs, implement strategies, have basic computer interface skills and efficiently produce results with a strong attention to detail. The key measure of success is well maintained buildings and systems that always provide Spaceport America with commercial readiness to successfully support our various customer operation needs.
Major Job Tasks
- Will be working directly with the Facilities Manager in the development of maintenance procedures and processes that will lead to well-maintained facilities and systems
- Works with the Facilities Manager on the development of the maintenance, repair, installation and preventative maintenance programs for all infrastructure to ensure the facilities and systems are operating optimally
- Maintain facility systems in accordance to all applicable codes, standards, and specifications
- Read and interpret as built drawings.
- Maintain facility areas to a clean work environment that is safe for guests, contractors, and colleagues
- Inspect systems, equipment and components to identify hazards, defects, and the need for adjustment or repair, and to ensure compliance with codes
- Follow preventive maintenance procedures on all plant equipment in a timely and thorough manner; logging all activities routinely into maintenance tracking software and/or facility maintenance logs
- Maintain or assist in the operation of equipment and systems in the areas of responsibilities such as compressed air, vacuum, hydraulics, elevators, plumbing, building management systems, electrical distribution and lighting systems, refrigeration, security and fire protection, basic vehicle maintenance, water supply systems, fencing systems, domestic water well systems, septic systems, water tanks, water boiler, water softeners, fire suppression system,
- Operate a building management system (BMS) to monitor, measure, adjust, and troubleshoot respective components connected to the BMS
- Repair a variety of plumbing pipe materials including, but not limited to: PVC, copper, stainless, and flex hose
- Implement general construction methods, safety requirements, use of construction materials, and construction codes
- Perform routine maintenance and preventative maintenance (PM) schedules and operations
- Ensure all routine, quick calls, predictive maintenance and PM, discretionary and emergency repairs are being performed pursuant to New Mexico Law and as specified on various weekly schedules, quality reports, open work order reports, PM schedules and discretionary work orders
- Ensure all safety-related items are completed as soon as possible
- Assist and coordinate repairs for the operation of a fuel storage facility including Jet A fuel, unleaded fuel and diesel fuel
- Assist in the troubleshoot and repair of solar panel and battery power sourced lighting fixtures
- Ability to write simple correspondence and read/interpret documents such as safety rules, operating/maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals
- Assist in other duties including, but not limited to, plumbing, landscaping, driving vehicles, minor road repair (asphalt and concrete), heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC), minor automotive repair, cleaning
- Service, repair, calibrate, regulate, fine-tune, or test machines, devices, and equipment
- Assist in the setting up, supporting and tearing down of support equipment for special events being held at the Spaceport America.
- Performs basic carpentry, mechanical, plumbing, landscaping and painting of facilities
- Operates company vehicles and equipment including but not limited to forklifts, aerial lifts, trucks, trailers, floor scrubbers, multi use tractor etc.
- Available to work a flexible work schedule
Typical decisions this position is responsible for:
- Due to the uniqueness of Spaceport America, this position will need the skills to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
- Assist in identifying complex problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Spaceport America is moving from “Pre-operational” to an “Operational” mode. This position will need to adapt to unexpected changes in operations in order to fully support Spaceport America personnel and tenants/users of the campus
- Education: High School Diploma or GED
- Experience: Three (3) years of relevant experience. Licenses and Certifications are preferred.
- General carpentry, HVAC, Electrical plumbing, and/or fuel farm experience preferred.
- Ability to accurately follow operation manuals, manufacturing and installation instructions, sketches, blueprints and diagrams.
- Able to successfully keep multiple tasks running simultaneously.
- Must be comfortable working in confined spaces
- Must be comfortable working in heights exceeding 20’.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, organizational, customer service, & problem solving skills.
- Able to provide constructive feedback and creative solutions to problems.
- Responsible, flexible and fast learner.
- Willing to learn new skills and grow within the agency
- Confident basic computer skills preferred.
- Must be willing to work at a remote location.
- Self-starter, ability to work alone or with minimal supervision
- May be required to work with vibrating tools/equipment, work with chemicals and/or chemical-related fumes, work on ladders, work with compressed gas cylinders or tanks, work with pressure washers, man lifts, forklifts, equipment similar to back hoes and skidsters, sweeper truck, ladders and performing service on powered equipment.
- Ability to use hand tools such as rakes, shovels, hoes, etc.
- Must be able to safely lift up to 50 lbs. unassisted and occasionally lift and move 50+ lbs. with assistance.
- Work is performed in both indoor and outdoor settings with exposure to adverse weather condition to include heat, wind, rain, cold and loud noises associated with power tools and equipment. This is a highly physical job.
- Extensive walking, bending, twisting, kneeling, and sitting.
- Work may be required inside small confined spaces and on roof tops.
- Some travel may be required.
- Must obtain a valid New Mexico driver’s license within 30 days of employment, complete a defensive driving training course and obtain a defensive driving certificate within 30 days of employment. Must be able to drive a vehicle over rough terrain.
- Occasionally work extra hours, on weekends and holidays. Must maintain a flexible schedule to respond to changing customer needs.
- On occasion must be willing to promptly respond to emergency calls late in the night and/or during the weekend.
To apply for this position, please email a resume and cover letter to Chris Lopez at firstname.lastname@example.org
Spaceport IT Technology Officer (NMSPA #10108905)
Spaceport Aerospace Engineer (NMSPA #10108963)
Contractors and Tenants
NMSA contractors and tenants hire directly for positions at Spaceport America. Please contact our operational Contractors for additional opportunities.
Virgin Galactic is the anchor tenant of Spaceport America and conducts hiring independently. Visit the Virgin Galactic Career Center for the latest job openings.