In 2005, the NM legislature established a “Spaceport America Regional Spaceport District” (the District) via the Regional Spaceport District Act (§5-15-1 et seq., Laws of 2005) as the entity to receive and distribute additional revenue from the Sierra County and Dona Ana County ¼% spaceport gross receipts tax. The tax passed in separate special referenda by the voters of Doña Ana and Sierra counties in 2007 and 2008, respectively, in order to fund a significant share of the spaceport’s development. In 2009, the District pledged 75% of the tax revenues toward the repayment of bond debt issued by the NMSA for construction, and the other 25% has flowed to local spaceport-related education.

The District’s Board of Directors consists of six members that includes four elected officials appointed by the respective county commissions of Doña Ana and Sierra counties. The board also includes two statewide delegates appointed by the Governor, subject to confirmation by the State Senate. The District board is required to meet at least annually.

Frances Luna

Frances Luna

Chair, Sierra County View Details
Kenneth Lyon

Kenneth Lyon

Sierra County View Details
Benjamin L. Rawson

Benjamin L. Rawson

Vice-Chair, Doña Ana County View Details
Wayne D. Hancock

Wayne D. Hancock

Doña Ana County View Details
Gerald LaFont

Gerald LaFont

State View Details
Dr. Terry McMillan

Dr. Terry McMillan

State View Details
Frances Luna

Frances Luna

Chair, Sierra County

Frances Luna was elected County Commissioner for District 3, Sierra County in 2012. Her committees include: NM County Insurance Authority Multi-Line Pool, Regional Planning Organization, Regional Transit District, Sierra County Tourism Committee, Sierra Vista Hospital Joint Powers Commission, South Central Council of Governments, and South Western County Commission Alliance.

Kenneth Lyon

Kenneth Lyon

Sierra County

Ken Lyon was elected County Commissioner for District 2, Sierra County in 2014. His committees include: American Lands Council, Jaguar & Wolf Reintroduction Oversight Committee, JLUS, Jornada RC&D, National Forest Counties and Schools Coalition, NM County Insurance Authority Multi-Line Pool, NM/AZ Coalition, Regional Planning Organization, Sierra Vista Hospital Joint Powers Commission, South Western County Commission Alliance, and the Workers Investment Act Committee.

Benjamin L. Rawson

Benjamin L. Rawson

Vice-Chair, Doña Ana County

Benjamin L. Rawson was appointed to the District 3 seat on the Doña Ana County Board of Commissioners on Aug. 12, 2013 by Governor Susana Martinez. Commissioner Rawson is a professional businessman, currently the General Manager of Rawson Inc. Builders Supply. Included in Rawson’s portfolio is the Doña Ana County Government Center, where the company provided and installed not only doors and hardware, but also intricate arches and bullet-resistant glass. During his business career, Commissioner Rawson has experienced the peak of the construction industry in 2006 and the worst in 2012. His quick response to both situations is credited with the survival of Rawson, Inc. Born and raised in Doña Ana County, Commissioner Rawson received his master’s degree in Business Administration from New Mexico State University. Commissioner Rawson has been married to his wife, Kirsten, for eight years. They have three children: Heidi, William and Isabelle.

Wayne D. Hancock

Wayne D. Hancock

Doña Ana County

Wayne D. Hancock represents District 4 on the Doña Ana County Board of Commissioners and took office on Jan. 1, 2013. Commissioner Hancock is a retired business owner who spent most of his career developing telephone systems, including six years living and working in Mexico. He is particularly interested in bringing the city and county together on issues that matter, promoting economic development, water policy, public transportation and the creation of jobs through attracting entrepreneurs and new business to the area.

Gerald LaFont

Gerald LaFont

State

Gerald LaFont is a City Councilor for the City of Elephant Butte.

Dr. Terry McMillan

Dr. Terry McMillan

State

Dr. Terry McMillan is a member of the New Mexico House of Representatives, representing District 37.